Followers

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Tom Kha Gai or Thai Coconut Soup with common ingredients




The other night we had Thai food for my friend Erin's birthday. I ordered the coconut soup with shrimp and it was so good that I wanted to take a bath in it. Instead of doing that I went home and learned how to make it. I read a bunch of recipes and combined the parts I liked. It was quick and easy and really scrumptious. B has never had the soup before this and he loved it.

Even though I'm not a REAL FOOD BLOGGER and even though I am ITALIAN I still managed to make a pretty good copy using pantry ingredients I already had on hand.


Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon of vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons of red curry paste
1 jalapeno (or 2 thai peppers if you have them)
2 cans of full fat coconut milk
3 cups of chicken stock (don't use broth or it will be watery)
3 Tablespoons of lime juice
2 Tablespoons of fish sauce

I also added tofu but I think it would be better with shrimp.
You should also add mushrooms if you have them.

1. Heat the vegetable oil and add the curry paste and peppers. Cook until sizzling and fragrant.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes if you add tofu and mushrooms or longer if you add meat.

Serve in a bathtub.

3 comments:

  1. Not a real food blogger my ass! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That one of my favorite things to make! I'm bad to add frozen broccoli and edamame. :> I've also been known to cook ramen noodles in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was tempted to put ramen in it. I would have added more veggies if I'd had them on hand. I think that'd be yummy!

      Delete

Google+