Followers

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Thanksgiving Menu

I guess it wouldn't be Thanksgiving if I didn't post a menu.

We generally eat with my brother's family on Thanksgiving. It's loud and fun and we always have too much food. He makes a scrumptious turkey every year. Roasted, fried or smoked...it's always good. This year he's smoking the turkey. (Hilarious mental image.)

Last year we messed up the sides. It was fine, I mean, it was BETTER than fine. But we had duplicate dishes and my hasselback potatoes didn't turn out. We didn't have a kitchen then so I was cooking on a plugged in stove, prepping things on the kitchen table and washing dishes in the bath tub. Yikes.

This year will be better and I'm starting my cooking today. We divided duties at my family birthday lunch and I am bringing:

The Best Mac and Cheese
Fudge Pie
Throwed Rolls
and Death Corn Five.

I think I've explained Death Corn to you before. It has five ingredients and they are all yellow so it's easy to remember. It's called Death Corn because if you eat to much of it you will die. It is a recipe from the Sweet Potato Queens.

Death Corn Five
1. Prepare one package of yellow rice without the oil. Any brand will do.

2. In a bright colored casserole dish add: the cooked rice, a can of cream of chicken, a stick of butter, 2 cups of cheddar and a can of corn with peppers. (Also known as, "mexicorn".)

3. Mix well and bake at 350 degrees for 1/2 an hour or whenever it's all melted and you're ready to eat it.

The best thing about Death Corn 5 is that you can eat a little bit of it when it comes out of the oven and then just smush it back flat so it looks like you didn't just take a bite out of it.

Time for me to quit blogging and get cooking.

3 comments:

  1. I always thought it was Def Co[r]n 5, like defcon5 style. I like the way it makes me think of 1950's bomb shelter food, everything from a can. The eerie yellow glow is a plus! It's what we eat to celebrate the first day of nuclear winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I think of it too. "Now entering Def Corn 5."

      Delete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving!!! I might try Death Corn Five next week.

    ReplyDelete

Google+