Followers

Friday, May 1, 2015

Welcome to the Biological Field Station


So yeah, sometimes this house bums me out....because it's not done and a bit of a shanty.


But sometimes it's worth the hassle.


I love living in the woods. Sometimes I joke with B and call our yard the, "Biological Field Station."



We've got gorgeous trees with sunshine streaming through them everywhere you look.


And for once in my life I feel good literally putting down roots...because if we're going to be here for a while then I can finally invest in some of my favorite flowers. Do you know when the best time to plant an apple tree is? Twenty years ago. The second best? Right now. My new blueberry bushes are more like blueberry twigs...but in just a few years they are going to be incredible.


Today a rose-breasted grosbeak came to my feeder as it was passing through town. I've seen a wider variety of birds here than any place I've ever been. We've got frogs and toads hopping down the street. Deer, bunnies and coyotes roam the woods between houses. At night in the summer a whippoorwill sings in the distance. It's tranquil as heck. 


(Well, when we're not chainsawing.)


Don't quote me on this, but of all the houses we've lived at this one brings me the most joy.  It's all in the tiny moments of connection and discovery.

At some point the house will be whole. It's going to be worth it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Google+