Followers

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Christmas Crafts. Christmas Crafts. Christmas, Christmas crafffffts.

About a year ago my oldest nephew asked me to make him an ugly Christmas sweater. Since I LOVE a challenge like that I said, "Sure!" Then I went home and put it on my calendar for September.

Well, as you might have noticed if you read this blog, I was kinda busy in September. And kind of disorganized...what with the not having a kitchen or a wall on the back of my new house and all.....

So it didn't get done.

But right before Thanksgiving I decided to eek out some time to make the mother of all ugly sweaters.

TA DA.


Ooh look it's 3D! It's eyes kind of follow you so they are looking at you all the time.

Well, it just so happens that Tuesday is Ugly Sweater Day so of course my other nephew needed one too. So I went back to the drawing board and came up with this understated little number.


Cutting a sexy leg out of felt has got to be one of the more surreal things I've ever crafted....and I've made a Bear Skin Rug/ Snuggie before. (It's called  Bear Skin Snug and it's genius.)

Since I knew my brother would be super jealous when his sons were modeling these sartorial delights I decided to just cut to the chase and make him one. You know, save him the embarrassment of having to beg. He is my favorite brother after all.


Yes. That's a reindeer with swag and Ray Bands.*

I really, really recommend making these for your loved ones who have a good sense of humor. It was a lot of fun! If you decide to make one you should use a sweatshirt as a base because it makes the whole process easier and a lot more enjoyable. I had to hand sew a lot of the first one and sewing onto a stretchy, lumpy sweater can take the joy out of your holiday season. The other two are a combo of iron ons, paint and glue. If you're doing it right there's no way this thing is going to be machine washable so you might as well make it easy on yourself in the process. 


*My nephew says Ray Bands instead of Ray Bans so now we use that
for any sort of knock off sunglasses. We also use "Couch" for vinyl Coach bags and "Cocoa Channel" for swap meet Chanel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google+